Sunday, August 19, 2007

THOUGHTS FOR EASTER

Despair filled the hearts of the followers of Jesus.
He'd been betrayed by Judas, taken by a mob,
Tortured, humiliated, falsely accused,
Denied justice and crucified.

He'd lived a life of healing, blessing and service,
Of unprecedented kindness and love,
Taught forgiveness, tolerance, unselfishness, peace,
Obedience to the laws of God and man.

He was gone! Rejected by the nation's leaders
And the mob that followed them.
What could his followers do if He had failed?
What was left that they could do?

When the Sabbath was ended Mary went to the tomb.
It was empty. The body of Jesus was gone!
She turned downcast eyes to him, she thought was the gardener,
To ask where the body had been taken.

A loving voice answered her -- Mary?
She looked up, and her joy-filled voice cried RABBONI!

He gently said, "Touch me not for I'm not yet ascended
To my Father. Go to my brethren and tell them, I live!
I go to my Father, your Father, my God and your God.
The I'll come to my brethren and give them instructions."

When he came to them he said, "Peace be to you.
As my Father hath sent me, so send I you.
Go to all nations and feed my sheep."
And he gave them the Holy Ghost and power
To bind on earth and it should be bound in heaven
And to do, in his name, the things he had done.

Through his suffering and death Jesus atoned
For the sins of all who would repent.
Through His resurrection He brought resurrection
To you and to me, to all women, to all men,
This gift of love from Jesus, the living Son of God
-Ward Hicken