Sunday, August 19, 2007

THE JOY OF CHRISTMAS

When I think of the Christmas season
And the love and joy it brings,
I find that feelings take precedence
Over material things.

I want to be home for Christmas
And not on some glamorous shore,
For the joys of home and loved ones
Are better than thrills by the score.

Just to hear the Christmas Carols
Is better than any gift,
And the Bible story of Christmas
Always give my spirits a lift.

I sense the desperate feeling
Of Joseph and Mary forlorn,
When they cannot find a resting place
Where Mary's child can be born.

What a relief when they're offered a stable
With a manger and soft clean straw,
And the babe is delivered safely.
A perfect child - without flaw!

Then Heaven's approval is manifest
By the songs the angels sing:
"Glory to God! Peace among men!
All hail the new-born king!"

A new star appears in the heavens
To guide the wise men there.
And shepherds come to pay homage
To the baby Jesus fair.

Now that is the story of Christmas
But that is not the end,
For the baby became our Redeemer
And I've found Him to be my friend.
-Ward Hicken(1982)