Sunday, August 19, 2007

THE KINDNESS OF JESUS

At Easter I think about Jesus
And his infinite kindness when
He suffered for our sins, then overcame death
To provide salvation for men.

When the soldiers crucified Jesus
They reviled him and mocked him too!
But he said "Father forgive them.
For they know not what they do."

To accusers of the woman adulteress
He said, "Let him that is without sin cast the first stone."
To the woman he said, "Hath no man condemned thee?
Nor do I. Sin no more. Go thy way-- alone."

He healed the sick and the crippled
Raised the dead, cured the leper, the blind.
With few fishes and loaves fed five thousand!
Cast out devils from those troubled in mind.
Jesus was kind.

When Jesus spoke in parables
The characters he would use
To set the stage for a lesson
That clearly expressed His views.

The good shepherd was tired and hungry
When his chores for the many were done
But out in the dark cold desert he went
To find the wandering one.

The prodigal son was a wastrel
Who cared not for his father's pain
But his loving father embraced him and said,
"My son who was lost is found again."

Jesus' every teaching showed kindness
Concern for the helpless, the poor.
He offered the hope of eternal life--
With repentance to open the door.

When I stand at the judgment bar of God
And my faults are all brought to mind
I'll want Jesus to be my advocate
For I know that He'll be kind.
-Ward Hicken